Insurance for voluntary workers in schools

The latest legal issues bulletin from the NSW Department of Education outlines insurance requirements for voluntary workers in schools. The full bulletin may be read here and see below section relevant to P&C Associations:

What insurance applies to voluntary workers?

Many local school P&C associations arrange voluntary workers to assist with P&C organised activities, e.g. fetes, working bees, quiz nights and other P&C fundraising activities. On these occasions, it is the responsibility of the P&C to arrange any necessary insurance cover for the voluntary workers. Local P&Cs can obtain appropriate insurance cover by arranging their own insurance or by taking advantage of the insurance cover provided by the Federation of Parents and Citizens Association of NSW. Prior to allowing any P&C activity to occur on school sites, principals should ensure that the P&C has appropriate insurance cover by requesting a copy of the relevant certificate of currency.

P&C Associations who have taken out the Voluntary Workers insurance can request a copy of their Voluntary Workers Certificate of Currency from Andrews Insurance.

If you have any inquiries regarding your P&C Association’s insurance, please call Andrews Insurance on 1300 885 982 (select Option 1).